Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Second Time Around





Okay...I know the title sounds provocative, like I'm going to go into any personal details....nope...not gonna happen.

The "second time around" this post is referring to is about my lovely potted plant....boring? Perhaps.

I have this plant... a Clivia ...which I bought about 10 years ago.  It didn't bloom for the first 4-5 years, then it put forth a great explosion of orange.  I was thrilled.  Nothing had changed that year, I had done nothing different to it, just watered it once a week.  In fact, it was in the same small plastic container all those years.  I can only believe that the plant enjoys being root bound...crowded.  It probably has more 'city' in it than 'country'. 


I can't believe I saved this plant label for all these years!


So, I, being happy now with this plant's true spirit finally breaking through, decided to reward it with a little fertilizer...plant food.  If it was going to 'put forth more effort', then surely I could do the same.

Then, much to my amazement, six months later it put forth another fabulous bloom!  WOW-WEE

Holy Toledo, was it suppose to have a second flowering?

Every year since, I do exactly the same thing.  Every year since, the plant does the same thing.

So here is the "second time around" :          (the first bloom this year was in February)





I love that it blooms twice, and the blooms stay for a long time.

My dilemma is growing larger each year:  the plant appears to be outgrowing the small container.

Should I leave it alone,  or,   should I re-pot it into a larger container?

I'm thinking I should leave it just as it is until it cracks the plastic pot.

What do you "green thumbers" think I should do?


Mem

























No comments:

Post a Comment