Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hi folks,

I'm back cooking again, this time I wanted to try apple fritters.  I rarely eat fried foods but I just saw a cooking show where they made this recipe so I decided to give it a try.

My batter consisted of flour, dark beer, and baking powder....mix it all together until it is the consistency of pancake batter.  I peeled and cored the apples, then sliced them into thin strips, rather like julienne strips, but just not so small.  Add the apple to the batter and coat them well.  That's it.

I dropped the coated apple pieces into hot oil, let them brown on one side before I turned them so they could brown on the other side. Each side only takes a very short time...you must watch them to make sure they don't burn.  Take them out of the oil and place them on a rack in order to have them drain the excess oil, or put them on a paper towel if you don't have a wire rack.

Powdered sugar dusted on top

This is an easy dessert to do, plus the ingredient list is so short!




Better yet, try it with a big scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream!

How did it taste?  The outside was very crispy, while the inside had soft chunks of cooked apple pieces.

Try it today......... make someone you love extra happy.


Oh yes, I forgot to add, the beer was a terrific amber ale, I drank what I had left over from making the batter.  I'm in the process of taste testing some of Michigan's fine brews, so that might be an upcoming post you won't want to miss.

I'm providing a link to a recipe here. I saw Jacques Pepin making a batter with beer, so I used beer for my recipe.  I didn't use an egg, I substituted beer for the water, I added 2 tsp. baking powder, and cut down the recipe for a smaller amount.  I only wanted about four small fritters so I used 1/2 cup flour to 1/2 - 3/4 cup beer. Add the beer a little at a time until it is like a thick pancake batter. I only used half of an apple.  You could add a little cinnamon and sugar, or a little lemon zest to add more flavors. That's the nice thing about cooking at home...add what you like.

Good eating!  ... and drinking!

Mem












No comments:

Post a Comment