Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Pastry dough

After reading Monday's post by Danielle @ Paris Pastry, I decided to try the recipe she wrote about....and it was great.

I'm always trying to find a good recipe for dough, especially for pastry, and this one was a hit with me. I'm just sorry I didn't take some photos along the way.  I didn't really like the almond filling so much, but the dough was wonderful....puffy, light, and crispy after coming from the oven.

I  followed the recipe for the dough exactly as written.  I used just half of the recipe for the pastries (6) and put the other half of the dough in the freezer. 
Here's the recipe for just the dough:  This is a keeper!!


Processor Danish Pastry: Nigella Lawson - How To Be A Domestic Goddess

Ingredients:
- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups white bread flour - 1 package, ¼ ounce rapid-rise yeast or 1 tablespoon fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into thin slices

Instructions:
- Pour the water and milk into a measuring cup and add the egg, beating with a fork to mix. Put aside. Put flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor and give a quick whizz, just to mix. Add the cold slices of butter and process briefly so that the butter is cut up a little, though you still want visible chunks of at least ½ inch. Empty the contents of the food processor into a large bowl and quickly add the contents of the jug. Fold the ingredients together, but don’t overdo it; expect to have a gooey mess with some butter lumps pebbled through it. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, put in the fridge and leave overnight or up to 4 days.
- To turn it into pastry, take it out of the fridge, let it get to room temperature ***I didn't let my dough get to room temperature*** and roll it out to a 20-inch square. Fold the dough square into thirds, like a business letter, turning it afterwards so that the closed fold is on your left, like the spine of a book. Roll out again to a 20-inch square, repeating the steps above 3 times. Cut in half, wrap both pieces and store in the fridge for 30 minutes before using, or the freezer to store.

                                    ______________________________________________

Also, put on the egg glaze before baking.

 Ingredients for egg glaze:
- 1 large egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons milk


When baking the pastry, it only takes 15-20 minutes @ 350 degrees.


Now, I'm trying to decide what to fill the next round of pastries with....I like lemon curd,  and prune filling....maybe apple or cherry filling....????


Hope you're all having great days, and the weather is perking everything up in your neck of the woods.

Mem





2 comments:

  1. If it's a Nigella recipe, you know it's good!
    I had a dinner party recently and I made her easy chocolate pudding, and all my French guests loved it! I was chuffed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I've never made anything by Nigella except this pastry dough...I will have to try some of her other recipes.

    ReplyDelete